This delicious no-mayo Herbed Vegan Potato Salad is so easy to make and perfect for summer barbecues and cookouts. It’s light, fresh, AIP, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
I’ve never been a mayo fan. Growing up, mayo sitting in the heat of summer during barbecues especially freaked me out. This easy Herbed Vegan Potato Salad eliminates that problem. It’s mayo-free, egg-free, dairy-free and absolutely delicious. Made using Japanese sweet potatoes, this dish has the perfect combination of sweet and savory and a variety of textures from the crunchy celery.
If you’re looking for a vegan potato salad, this is it! It’s sure to be a crowd pleaser among vegans and non-vegans alike. The sweet potatoes give the salad a naturally creamy texture without the mayo. Because it’s lighter than a traditional potato salad, it’s a great complement to hearty meals and grilled meats. I love this alongside my Balsamic Glazed Chicken Wings and Peach Ginger Chicken Wings.
Here are the main ingredients in this Herbed Vegan Potato Salad:
- sweet potatoes – I recommend Japanese sweet potatoes or Hannah sweet potatoes in this recipe. Not only do they mimic the look of regular white potatoes, but they are starchier and have a different sweetness to orange-fleshed varieties.
- celery – this adds an amazing flavor and crunch to the salad!
- fresh chives, green onions, parsley – these herbs are the base of the salad. If you’re a dill fan you can probably add that in here too.
- apple cider vinegar – this adds the tang to this salad! Lemon juice is a possible replacement, though I haven’t tried myself
FAQs for this Sweet Potato Salad
How do I store this salad?
I recommend enjoying this sweet potato salad fresh. It stores well for a couple days in a sealed container in the fridge. Any longer than that and it starts to get a bit mushy.
Can I use orange sweet potatoes?
As noted above, orange-fleshed sweet potatoes are different in texture and taste. I personally find them a lot sweeter and more difficult to blend into savory dishes like this one. My recommendation is to seek out Japanese sweet potatoes, but a roasted variation of the orange-fleshed sweet potatoes could work.
How do I serve this salad?
I recommend serving this potato salad chilled so you can really enjoy the crunch of the celery! It pairs really well with grilled meats and barbecue dishes like Grilled Pork Chops with Cherry Compote and Grilled Asparagus with Orange.
Looking for more AIP summer salads and sides? Try:
- Summer Melon & Prosciutto Salad
- Summer Paleo Pasta Salad
- Shaved Vegetable Salad
- Watermelon Cucumber Salad with Balsamic Reduction
- Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges with Lime
If you try this Herbed Vegan Potato Salad, I would appreciate it if you would give it a star rating and short review. Also, be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious.Print