These Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges with Lime are the perfect paleo BBQ side. They’re also vegan, AIP, Whole30 compliant and so easy to prepare.
Sweet potato wedges have always been a favourite of mine and this recipe takes them to the next level. The wedges are tossed in a delicious sauce made of olive oil, lime juice and sea salt and grilled over medium heat until they’re tender on the inside and perfectly charred on the outside. If you’re a cilantro lover like me (people seem to have strong feelings about this herb :)), you can garnish the cooked wedges with these. You can also try replacing with another herb of choice – parsley or even basil would be yummy here too. These wedges the perfect side for summer cookouts or BBQs.
Here are the key ingredients for these Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges
- sweet potatoes – you can use any variety, though I particularly enjoy Jewel and Garnet sweet potatoes in this recipe. The sweetness of these varieties really pairs nicely with the lime and salt
- olive oil
- lime juice – you want to use freshly squeezed lime juice here for the best flavour
- sea salt – for the marinade and for sprinkling on top the finished dish
- cilantro – this fresh herb complements the lime exquisitely. As noted above you could also try replacing with parsley or basil if cilantro isn’t your thing.
Here’s how to make these:
- To begin, peel and chop your sweet potatoes into wedges and place into a large bowl. You want to ensure you keep the wedges evenly sized so that they cook in a similar amount of time. If you enjoy the skins you can definitely keep them on here, just give them a scrub before chopping the potatoes.
- In a small bow combine olive oil, lime juice and salt. Pour the marinade over the sweet potatoes and toss to combine. I like to use my hands to really massage the marinade into the potatoes.
- Preheat your grill to medium heat Once hot, lay the wedges onto the grill in an even layer and cover.
- Allow to cook 25-30 minutes, flipping the wedges halfway through.
- Garnish the grilled sweet potatoes with chopped cilantro (or herb of your choice), a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and additional sea salt.
What should I serve these Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges with?
How should I store these?
These wedges are best fresh so that you can really enjoy the crispy-on-the-outside and soft-on-the-inside texture of these. You can store them in the fridge in a sealed container for 3-4 days but I would recommend reheating in the oven or in a cast iron pan on the stovetop so that you can try to recreate that amazing texture.
Can I make these without a grill?
You can use a grill pan or cast iron pan on the stovetop, or bake in the oven (a convection oven is really great at making crispy wedges). You’ll have to adjust the cooking time accordingly, and the texture and flavour won’t be exactly the same as with a grill, but the dish can still be made.
If you try these Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges with Lime, I would appreciate it if you would give the recipe a star rating and short review. Also, be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious.
Here are some other delicious AIP Vegetable Sides:
- Grilled Asparagus with Orange
- Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
- Green Banana Fries
- Golden Beets in Creamy Lemon-Garlic Sauce