This Grilled Asparagus with Orange is the perfect Spring and Summer side. It’s AIP, paleo, vegan and Whole30 compliant, simple, refreshing and delicious.
Of all the ways to cook asparagus, grilling is my favorite! It’s quick, there’s a great depth of flavor and texture and it’s just all round super delicious. And lucky for me, asparagus season coincides with the start of grilling season here in Toronto. If you’re looking for a super easy side, try this recipe out, you won’t regret it.
Here’s what you need for this recipe:
- asparagus spears – I’ve used thin spears in this recipe so the suggested cook time reflects that but you can use any size or color of asparagus that you can get and adjust cooking time accordingly.
- oranges – I used navel oranges here both to slice and serve as a garnish and to squeeze to use as the orange juice required for the marinade.
- fresh thyme – I strongly suggest using fresh thyme here. If you’re in a pinch you can use dried thyme but the flavor is way more pronounced with fresh thyme.
- olive oil and sea salt
Tips and Tricks
- Ensure you trim the woody ends of the asparagus stems. I suggest at least 1 inch from the bottom before mixing the asparagus with the marinade.
- No one likes soggy asparagus and using a grill can help you achieve, charred asparagus that has a wonderful bite to it. To achieve this, you want to preheat your grill until it’s really hot, so much so that when you place the spears onto the grill it sizzles, chars and cooks quickly.
FAQs for Grilled Asparagus with Orange
Can I make this without a BBQ grill?
You can make this recipe using a grill pan on the stove top. I would recommend using medium-high heat and adjusting cooking time accordingly.
Can I substitute the orange?
I haven’t tried myself, but lemons or grapefruit might work well as possible substitutes for the orange here.
What can I serve this dish with?
You might also enjoy:
- Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
- Shaved Vegetable Spring Salad
- Swiss Chard with Apples
- Balsamic-Glazed Carrots
- Peach-Ginger Chicken Wings
If you try this Grilled Asparagus with Orange recipe, I would appreciate it if you would give it a star rating and short review. Also, be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious.Print