This bright and easy Melon & Prosciutto salad combines sweet summer cantaloupe with salty prosciutto, peppery arugula, fresh basil and creamy coconut yogurt for a dish that’s sure to please. It’s AIP, paleo, and Whole30 compliant.
Cantaloupe and prosciutto is one of my favorite pairings. In my dairy-full days, I enjoyed this salad with mozzarella balls. While it’s still SO great without the cheese, I was determined to find a suitable AIP replacement. The full fat thick and creamy coconut yogurt really does the trick. You’ll want to make sure it really is thick and creamy, though. Not all coconut yogurts are created equal. If the yogurt is too thin, it will be a total runny mess.
I like to slice half the melon and wrap the individual pieces in prosciutto and prepare cute melon balls out of the other half. No melon baller? No worries. It truly doesn’t matter whether you slice the melon up, use a melon baller or cut it into cubes. The taste will be equally as delicious!
This cantaloupe and prosciutto salad is absolutely amazing on its own or as an appetizer. It also pairs so well with summer BBQ faves like Balsamic-Glazed Chicken Wings and Grilled Pork Chops with Cherry Compote!
Here’s what you need for this Summer Melon & Prosciutto Salad
- arugula – peppery arugula is the perfect match for the soft, sweet, creamy and savory flavors that this salad’s got going on.
- fresh basil – don’t skip on this one. while dried herbs are often a good substitute, you’ll want to make sure you use fresh basil here.
- cantaloupe – you’ll want to pick a cantaloupe that’s sweet, heavy for its size and the stem should have a little give to it. You can also substitute honeydew melon, watermelon or a combination of the two!
- prosciutto – you’re going to want to make sure that your prosciutto is AIP compliant, so preservative free and cured only with salt
- unsweetened coconut yogurt – You’re going to want to ensure that the ingredients are AIP compliant and that the yogurt is really thick and creamy. If you’re in the U.S. I recommend the Culina brand, and in Canada I absolutely adore the brand Simpla. It is the creamiest!
- lemon zest, olive oil and sea salt – these are the simple ingredients for the garnish/dressing.
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
Since I wrap the prosciutto around slices of the cantaloupe in my preparation of this salad, I do so just before serving. Otherwise, the juices from the cantaloupe will seep out and things will get soggy. You can, however, prep all the components and store them separately until ready to serve.
Can I use a different type of melon?
Yes! Honeydew melon is a great replacement for cantaloupe here. You could also do a combination of watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew melon.
Can I omit the coconut yogurt?
Totally! The coconut yogurt adds that delicious creaminess to this salad but it is still great without it. Avocado is a delicious creamy alternative. If you have reintroduced dairy into your diet, you could add the OG mozzarella.
Check out these other amazing AIP salads and vegetable sides:
- Mango Arugula Salad
- Summer Paleo Pasta Salad
- Shaved Vegetable Salad
- Grilled Asparagus with Orange
- Charred Broccolette and Cabbage Salad
If you try this Summer Melon & Prosciutto Salad, I would appreciate it if you would give it a star rating and short review. Also, be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious.Print