Nightshade free, vegan and paleo, this roasted AIP Parsnip and Carrot mash is the perfect side dish for everything from quick weeknight meals to hearty holiday dinners.
I surprised myself with how delicious this AIP Parsnip and Carrot mash is! This is because for the longest time I didn’t like parsnips. Their taste is difficult to explain; earthy and sweet and yet also spicy. It wasn’t until a couple months ago that I discovered that roasting parsnips is a game changer! Through roasting, that distinctive spiciness seems to mellow and their naturally nutty taste is amplified. The longer you roast them, the sweeter they become.
In this AIP Parsnip and Carrot Mash, parsnips are oven roasted with their beloved cousins carrots for a delightfully sweet and creamy mash that you’ll hardly believe is vegan.
This recipe also includes dried thyme, sea salt, a whole head of garlic. Thyme is a perfect accompaniment to balance the warm and earthy notes of the carrots and parsnips. The garlic is drizzled with olive oil and roasted alongside the carrots and parsnips until it has a mild and sweet flavour. The soft, caramelized garlic is then blended in with the roasted roots at the end. It’s seriously so yummy!
Looking for more delicious AIP side dishes? You might also enjoy:
If you loved this AIP Carrot and Parsnip Mash, I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a rating and review. Be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious and using the hashtag #healmedeliciousPrint
AIP Roasted Parsnip and Carrot Mash (paleo, vegan)
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 3–4 servings 1x
This vegan, paleo and AIP roasted parsnip and carrot mash is a perfect side dish for anything from your weeknight meals to a hearty holiday dinner.
- 4 medium sized carrots, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium-large sized parsnips, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 – 1.5 cups full fat coconut milk or water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + 1 tsp, divided
- 1 full head garlic
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss carrots and parsnips with 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with thyme.
- Peel the outer layers of the garlic and trim ¼ inch off the head of the garlic, leaving the rest intact with the cloves connected. Drizzle extra 1 tsp olive oil over the exposed surface of the garlic, letting the oil sink down into the cloves. Wrap in parchment paper or foil and place on baking sheet alongside the carrots and parsnips.
- Bake 35 minutes or until vegetables are caramelized on each side.
- Remove carrots, parsnips and garlic from oven.
- Remove garlic from skins and add together with carrots and sea salt to a high powered blender or food processor.
- Add 3/4 cup coconut milk or water to start, and begin to blend the mixture. Add more liquid as necessary until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste and adjust sea salt as necessary.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
Keywords: carrot mash, parsnip mash, root vegetable mash, roasted parsnips, AIP, vegan, nightshade free, aip side dishes, holiday recipes
Leave a Reply