This vegan, paleo and AIP roasted parsnip and carrot mash is a perfect side dish for anything from your weeknight meals to a hearty holiday dinner.
- 4 medium sized carrots, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium-large sized parsnips, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 – 1.5 cups full fat coconut milk or water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + 1 tsp, divided
- 1 full head garlic
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss carrots and parsnips with 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with thyme.
- Peel the outer layers of the garlic and trim ¼ inch off the head of the garlic, leaving the rest intact with the cloves connected. Drizzle extra 1 tsp olive oil over the exposed surface of the garlic, letting the oil sink down into the cloves. Wrap in parchment paper or foil and place on baking sheet alongside the carrots and parsnips.
- Bake 35 minutes or until vegetables are caramelized on each side.
- Remove carrots, parsnips and garlic from oven.
- Remove garlic from skins and add together with carrots and sea salt to a high powered blender or food processor.
- Add 3/4 cup coconut milk or water to start, and begin to blend the mixture. Add more liquid as necessary until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste and adjust sea salt as necessary.
Keywords: carrot mash, parsnip mash, root vegetable mash, roasted parsnips, AIP, vegan, nightshade free, aip side dishes, holiday recipes