This AIP and nightshade-free recipe for Guacamole with Preserved Lemons packs a flavourful punch. Preserved lemons add a beautiful tang and intense lemony flavour that will keep you wanting more.
In my pre-AIP days, my two favourite things to add to guacamole were tomatoes and jalapeños. Since nightshades are eliminated within the AIP, I had to get creative. Sure, both these things can be easily removed from guacamole. But in my view, they have to be replaced with something equally as bold and delicious. Enter preserved lemons.
I fell in love with preserved lemons when I went to Marrakech a few years ago. Their distinctive mildly tart but boldly lemony flavour was everywhere. They added an intense and delightful taste to so many of the tagine stews and other mouthwatering North African dishes I ate. When I got back to Toronto, I got to work. I began preserving my own lemons, and have kept a jar or two on hand ever since.
In this recipe for Guacamole with Preserved Lemons, pickled lemons add a beautiful tang and lemony punch to the creamy avocado. You won’t miss those nightshades!
What are preserved lemons?
These are simply lemons that have been pickled their juices and salt over a period of time. Here’s a great recipe for making preserved lemons in just a few hours in your oven. The process is truly simple and rewarding!
Serve this guacamole with AIP-compliant chips, or try as part of a grazing board/mezze selection for a fun dinner.
If you tried this recipe I would love it if you would give it a rating and short review. Also, be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious.Print
Guacamole with Preserved Lemons (AIP, paleo, vegan)
In this AIP recipe for Guacamole with Preserved Lemons, pickled lemons add a beautiful tang and intensely lemony punch to the creamy avocado. You won’t miss the nightshades!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sides
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 preserved lemon, skin only, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- Slice avocados and remove pits. Scoop out the flesh of the avocados into a large bowl.
- Remove pulp from 1/2 preserved lemon and dice finely.
- Chop/crush/dice cilantro, garlic and red onion.
- To the bowl with avocado, add preserved lemon, cilantro, lime juice, crushed garlic and finely diced red onion.
- Stir and mash everything together, ensuring that the avocado remains slightly chunky.
- Finally, drizzle in extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt to taste.
Keywords: Guacamole, Guac, aip, preserved lemon, pickled lemon