Spice up your holiday season with this delicious AIP mulled wine Mocktail. Made with pomegranate juice and spiced with cinnamon, cloves and orange, this is a warm and comforting drink that’s paleo, vegan and alcohol free.
This AIP Mulled Wine Mocktail will bring you all the holiday feels and make your kitchen smell AMAZING. It’s earthy, flavorful, warming and delicious and looks just like the alcoholic version thanks to the deep red color of pomegranate juice. Fresh oranges add a slight sweetness to this drink, and the cinnamon and cloves an unmistakably seasonal flair.
I love the tart taste of pomegranate and the subtle sweetness and brightness that the orange provides, but my hubby taste tester felt this drink needed a bit more sweetness so I’ve included maple sugar or coconut sugar into the recipe. Feel free to adjust this according to taste.
Finally, star anise is an AIP reintro and used here in the photos primarily as decoration. If you can tolerate or have reintroduced it into your diet, feel free to add a couple pieces into the drink itself as it cooks, but it will still be super tasty without.
Here are the main ingredients in this Mulled Wine Mocktail:
- unsweetened pomegranate juice – naturally acidic and rich, with a beautiful deep red color that mimics red wine
- oranges – fresh orange slices simmer in the pomegranate juice to lend a beautiful citrus flavor and a bright pop of colour as a garnish to this drink. I typically use 3 oranges for this recipe – one to squeeze for the freshly squeezed orange juice, one to slice and simmer in the drink and one to use as garnish.
- freshly squeezed orange juice
- cinnamon sticks – a classic holiday spice and beautiful garnish
- whole cloves
- coconut sugar or maple sugar (optional)
- star anise for garnishing (optional – AIP reintro)
This delicious mocktail is so easy to make! Simply place all the ingredients in a pot and simmer, then strain and add sweetener and garnishes (if desired)! This recipe makes enough for four-five one-cup servings but can easily be doubled.
Mulled Wine Mocktail FAQs
Can I use a different type of juice?
I haven’t tried myself, but unsweetened cranberry and/or grape juice might work well here in place of the pomegranate juice
Can I make this drink ahead of time?
This drink is a great one to make ahead of time and keep in the fridge for up to a day. You can keep the spices and orange slices in the pot to continue to impart their flavor, and then reheat on the stove top and strain before adding optional coconut or maple sugar.
How long can I store this?
Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and reheat before serving.