This sweet potato lasagna is grain-free, dairy-free, nightshade free, comforting and delicious. It’s AIP and paleo
- 1.5 TBSP olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 TBSP fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup nomato sauce
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch of turmeric (optional – for yellow colour)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup full fat, additive free coconut milk
- 2 TBSP tapioca starch + 1 TBSP water
Sweet Potato “Pasta”
- 1 very large white-fleshed sweet potato*
- Preheat oven to 375 F and place large pot of water on stovetop to boil.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add ground beef, basil, garlic powder and salt and sauté 3-4 minutes, stirring intermittently. Next, add in nomato sauce. Lower heat and cook an additional 4-5 minutes. Remove beef from heat and set aside.
- To make your “cheese” sauce, heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add dried thyme, garlic powder, salt, turmeric (if using), apple cider vinegar and coconut milk and bring to a low boil.
- In a small bowl, mix together tapioca starch and water to make a slurry. Once coconut milk mixture has reached a rolling boil, add in slurry and whisk continuously until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Peel your white sweet potato and use a mandolin to slice the sweet potato lengthwise into slices at least 1/4 inch thick. You don’t want to make these too thin because they won’t hold up when boiled.
- Place sweet potato slices into large pot of boiling water for 2 minutes. You want to just slightly soften the potatoes, but don’t leave them in the water too long or they will break apart. Drain sweet potato and set aside.
- Assemble your lasagna in an 8 x 8 baking pan, beginning with meat sauce, followed by a layer of sweet potato and then a layer of “cheese sauce”. Repeat once more.
- Bake in a 375 F oven for 12 -15 minutes and broil for an additional 3-5 minutes.
* Choose a sweet potato that is not only large but long, so that when you slice your potato lengthwise you end up with long slices that resemble sheets of lasagna pasta.
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: lasagna, sweet potato lasagna, nomato sauce, grain-free, dairy free, aip lasagna, aip pasta