This Lemon Custard with Strawberry Compote is sweet, tangy, and simply decadent! It’s an easy no-bake dessert featuring a lightly lemon-flavored vegan custard topped with a juicy, naturally sweetened strawberry compote for a delightful summer treat!
Vegan Lemon Custard
- 1.5 cups full fat, additive-free coconut milk
- 3 TBSP arrowroot starch
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 3 TBSP maple syrup
- 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of turmeric (optional, for color)
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, arrowroot starch, lemon juice, maple syrup, vanilla, sea salt and turmeric (if using).
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and whisk continuously for 3-5 minutes, or until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.*
- Set aside and let cool.**
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the halved strawberries, maple or coconut sugar, and lemon juice. Stir to coat the strawberries in sugar completely.
- Let the mixture simmer. As strawberries begin to soften, use a spoon and gently press down on them until they release a bit of liquid.
- Continue to simmer and stew the berries for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until the compote is your desired consistency.***
- Remove the compote from heat and let cool slightly.
- Pour or spoon the desired amount of custard into individual serving dishes and drizzle the warm compote on top.
*Ensure the custard does not boil at a high temperature, or else the arrowroot starch will lose its thickening ability.
**To serve chilled or firmer custard: Once it has cooled slightly, divide it into individual serving glasses or bowls and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. The custard will set more the longer it chills.
***To thicken compote, make a slurry with 1 TBSP arrowroot or tapioca starch and 1.5 TBSP water. Whisk into the compote just before taking it off the stove. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon custard, strawberry compote, vegan dessert, no-bake desserts, fruit desserts, summer desserts, vegan custard, strawberry desserts, lemon desserts, gluten-free desserts, dairy-free desserts