These Gluten-Free Tortillas with Cassava Flour are soft, foldable, and the best, quick and easy grain-free tortilla wraps! They’re super adaptable and versatile — use them for sandwiches, burritos, tacos and more! Plus, they’re naturally AIP/paleo and vegan too.
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp cassava flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup hot water
- To a large bowl, add cassava flour, tapioca starch, salt, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add olive oil and water. Stir until the ingredients clump together.
- Use your hands to bring the dough together and shape into a ball. If the dough is crumbling, add additional hot water, 1 TBSP at a time, until it comes together.
- Use a bench scraper or sharp knife to cut the dough into four or eight even pieces, and roll each into a smaller ball of dough.
- With a tortilla press: Line each side of a tortilla press with pieces of parchment paper and place each ball of dough in the center of the bottom plate of the press. Gently close the top plate of the press on top of the dough, then use the handle to press down firmly on the top plate to flatten the dough into the tortilla shape.*
- Heat a large cast iron skillet on medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, carefully peel the parchment paper off and flip the cassava flour tortillas from the sheet of parchment paper directly into the hot skillet.
- Cook about 1.5 minutes, using your fingers to gently move it around in the pan. Use a spatula to flip and cook about 45 seconds on the other side.**
- Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas. Serve warm.
*With a rolling pin: Place each ball of dough one at a time between two pieces of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to the desired diameter and about 1/6 – 1/8 inch thick/height. Be careful not to roll it too thin or it will be difficult to separate the dough from the parchment paper.
**The cook time on each side depends on how you want to use these cassava tortillas. Refer to the blog post for tips and suggestions.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Breads
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican-inspired
Keywords: gluten-free tortillas, cassava flour tortillas, cassava tortillas, gluten-free wraps, grain-free tortillas, cassava wraps, cassava flour wraps, homemade tortillas, vegan tortillas, paleo tortillas, AIP tortillas