A super moist and pillowy soft Gluten-free Dairy-free Pumpkin Roll! This sweet and warmly spiced, light and fluffy pumpkin cake roll with a velvety dairy-free cream cheese filling is a gorgeous holiday pumpkin dessert that’s also vegan, AIP and Paleo.
Pumpkin Roll Cake Dough
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 2 TBSP coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 TBSP coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- pinch of cloves
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup dairy-free cream cheese or palm shortening
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- arrowroot starch, sifted (for garnish)
Pumpkin Roll Cake
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 10×15 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a large bowl, mix cassava flour, coconut flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, coconut sugar, sea salt, cinnamon, powdered ginger, and cloves. Then make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, coconut milk, pumpkin purée, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar. Then add wet ingredient mixture to the center of the dry ingredients.
- Stir to combine the wet and dry ingredients into a soft dough.
- Scoop dough out onto the center of the parchment lined baking sheet. Use fingers to spread and smooth the dough out in an even layer. Then place another parchment paper sheet on top and roll out the dough into a rectangle shape to about 1/4 inch thick.*
- Bake in middle rack of oven for 14 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool uncovered for 5 minutes. Then cover with a sheet of parchment paper and allow to cool completely, before rolling the cake. Make the filling in the meantime.
- In a stand mixer or food processor, combine dairy-free cream cheese or palm shortening with tapioca starch, maple syrup, vanilla extract and sea salt. Whisk or pulse until combined. Add more tapioca starch if you desire a thicker frosting.
Assemble Pumpkin Roll
- Once the cake has cooled, use a large spoon or scoop to spoon out dollops of the filling onto the cake.
- Use an offset spatula to smoothly and evenly spread the filling over the cake almost to the edges.
- From the short end of the cake, carefully lift the parchment paper and use both hands to roll the cake away from you in a gentle yet tight tuck. Peel the parchment paper away from the rolled piece of cake. Continue using both hands to gently and carefully roll the cake away from you.**
- Place the pumpkin roll seam-side down on a serving platter.
- Optional for garnish, sift arrowroot starch on top for a classic pumpkin roll look.
- Slice into rounds and serve.
*To roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper you may need to remove it from the baking sheet.
**See the Pumpkin Roll Tips section for more on how to roll the pumpkin roll.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cool Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin roll, gluten-free dairy-free pumpkin roll, pumpkin desserts, gluten-free pumpkin roll, dairy-free pumpkin roll, gluten-free dairy-free desserts, dairy-free cream cheese frosting, thanksgiving desserts, holiday desserts, vegan pumpkin roll