This Thai-inspired Paleo salmon curry with coconut milk is creamy, warming and so flavorful. Salmon filets are pan-seared and served in a coconut-lime yellow curry sauce for a delicious AIP fish curry that’s nightshade-free.
- 1 lb piece salmon, sliced into 3–4 pieces
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- salt to season
Thai-inspired coconut curry sauce
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1-inch knob ginger, minced or grated
- 2-inch piece fresh lemongrass, sliced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp lime zest (approx zest of 1 small lime)
- 2 TBSP cilantro, chopped (plus more for garnish, optional)
- 2 TBSP basil, chopped (plus more for garnish, optional)
- 2 TBSP coconut sugar
- 1 TBSP turmeric powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- lime wedges (for garnish, optional)
- Gently pat dry salmon filets with a paper towel* and season with salt on both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.**
- Place salmon pieces skin side down and pan sear for 5 minutes. Flip filets and cook another 2-3 minutes (the fish should be nearly done). Allow filets to cook undisturbed on each side.***
- Remove salmon from pan and set aside, removing skin if desired.
- To the same pan, add remaining 2 TBSP olive oil, shallots, garlic, ginger and lemongrass, and sauté 4-5 minutes, until shallots are translucent.
- Add sautéed shallots, garlic, ginger and lemongrass to a food processor with lime juice, water, lime zest, cilantro, basil, coconut sugar, turmeric powder and sea salt. Pulse until as smooth as possible.****
- Return paste to pot over medium heat and slowly add coconut milk until combined.
- Bring to a low boil and return salmon to the pan. Allow to simmer on low a few minutes.
- Garnish with additional cilantro, basil and lime wedges (optional).
- Adjust salt to taste.
*It’s important to pat dry both sides of the filets to prevent them from sticking to the pan.
**Alternatively, poach salmon in coconut curry sauce. Skip steps 2-4 and begin with making the curry paste in step 5. Follow until end of step 7. Then, bring sauce to a low simmer over low heat and add salmon filets to pan. Let filets simmer for about 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Continue with step 9.
***If fish pieces appear to be sticking, allow them to cook longer and release on their own.
****Refer to picture of yellow curry paste in the blog post for consistency.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Mains
- Method: Pan-seared
- Cuisine: Thai inspired
Keywords: aip, paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo curry, aip curry, nightshade-free curry, coconut curry, salmon recipe, salmon curry, fish curry, Thai curry, Thai yellow curry, lemongrass, turmeric powder, coconut milk, skillet salmon, one-pan salmon, poached salmon, homemade curry paste, homemade coconut curry sauce