These amazing AIP Cinnamon Swirl Squares are paleo, grain-free, dairy-free, and a cinnamon lover’s dream! Sure to satisfy your sweet cravings without any refined sugar, they’re light, soft and delicious.
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, melted*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup palm shortening**
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk (additive free)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups cassava flour
- 1/4 cup tigernut flour
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 gelatin egg (1 TBSP gelatin, 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup hot water)
- 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP coconut sugar
- 2 TBSP cinnamon
- 3 TBSP coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a 9×6 pan with parchment paper. You can also use a standard loaf pan (8 x 4-inch) but will get less squares and they will be much thicker.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer or food processor, add melted coconut butter, unsweetened applesauce, palm shortening, full fat coconut milk and vanilla. Beat/pulse until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine cassava flour, tigernut flour, sea salt and baking soda.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add liquid ingredients. Stir to combine. Batter will be very thick.
- Make gelatin egg by mixing apple cider vinegar with gelatin powder. Pour in hot water and whisk with a fork until all the gelatin is dissolved and the mixture is frothy. Fold gelatin egg into batter. Batter should loosen a bit but will still be thick.
- In a separate bowl, make cinnamon swirl by combining coconut sugar, cinnamon and coconut milk.
- Scoop a few spoonfuls of the thick, plain batter into the prepared pan and smooth into a thin layer with a spatula.
- Drop alternate spoonfuls of the batter and the cinnamon mixture on top the bottom layer. Top with the remaining plain batter and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Place in the middle rack of the preheated oven and set timer for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, once the batter has begun to soften, open oven and use a butter knife to run through the batter 4-5 times to create a swirl in the cinnamon. Bake for 19-21 minutes further. ***
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares to allow batter to set and prevent crumbling.
*Ensure your coconut butter is completely melted before blending. You can run the jar under hot water to achieve this.
** Palm oil will not work here. I do not recommend any substitutions to the palm shortening in this recipe as this is what creates the soft, cake-like texture.
***You can also do this before baking, but the batter will be much thicker and more difficult to run through with a knife.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
Keywords: cinnamon swirl, cinnamon cake, coffee cake, aip, paleo, egg-free, dairy-free, grain-free, tea cake, pound cake, loaf