This Easy Creamy Turkey & Kale Soup is a wonderful, quick, one-pot meal that is simple, delicious and comforting. It’s AIP, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
This post contains affiliate links
Soups are my favorite quick weeknight meal because they’re hard to mess up and involve very few dishes! In this Turkey & Kale Soup, ground turkey is paired with acorn squash, curly kale, carrots, celery and creamy coconut milk for a warming and delicious soup that is AIP, paleo, and Whole30 compliant.
Here are the main ingredients in this easy Turkey & Kale Soup
- olive oil
- carrots, onions, garlic and celery – the base of the soup
- ground turkey
- green onions, fresh thyme, dried basil and dried oregano
- acorn squash – you can sub with another variety like honey-nut or butternut squash or sugar pie pumpkin
- curly kale – can substitute another leafy green like spinach, collard greens or swiss chard
- chicken bone broth or stock (ensure ingredients are AIP compliant)
- full fat, additive free coconut milk
To make this soup, heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Sauté carrots, onions, garlic and celery until onions are translucent. Add ground turkey, green onions, thyme, basil, oregano and sea salt and allow the turkey to brown. Next, add acorn squash, chicken bone broth, coconut milk and some water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and cover soup. Allow to simmer 20 – 30 minutes until squash is tender. Add kale and stir to wilt, another 3-4 minutes. Serve warm.
Turkey & Kale Soup FAQs
Can I make this soup coconut-free?
Coconut milk adds a delicious creaminess to this soup, especially as it mixes with the softened acorn squash. If you can’t tolerate coconut you could try subbing with more chicken bone broth or another AIP milk that you can tolerate (e.g. tigernut milk).
Can I substitute the acorn squash?
Yes, other forms of squash that would work well here are honeynut squash, delicata squash and sugar pumpkin. Butternut squash can work but won’t be as creamy.
Is there a substitute for the ground turkey?
You can use ground chicken here as a sub for the ground turkey or any other ground meat of your choice. Shredded turkey would also taste delicious in this soup!
Can I make this soup in the crockpot or Instant Pot?
Yes, you’ll just want to ensure you use the sauté function first to combine the turkey with the carrots, onions, garlic, celery, herbs and salt before adding the remaining ingredients.
If you try this Turkey & Kale Soup I would love if you gave it a star rating and short review. Be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious
Here are some other AIP Soups you might like:
- AIP Trinidadian Callaloo
- Gingery Roasted Winter Squash Soup
- Caribbean Beef Soup
- AIP Ginger-Garlic Pork Noodle Soup
This Creamy Turkey & Kale Soup is a wonderful, quick, one-pot meal that is simple, delicious and so comforting. It’s AIP, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 3 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups acorn squash, peel and chopped into cubes
- 3 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 cup additive free, full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups chopped curly kale
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes stirring frequently (until onions are translucent)
- Add ground turkey and sea salt, thyme, green onions, basil and oregano. Sauté for 3 -5 minutes allowing the meat to brown and mix with the seasoning.
- Add acorn squash, broth, coconut milk and water. Taste for salt and adjust accordingly. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes to allow squash to soften.
- Add kale and stir to wilt, another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Category: Soups
Keywords: aip, paleo, whole30, turkey soup, kale, fall recipes, quick meals, one-pot meals