In this AIP/paleo Trinidadian Sorrel holiday drink, dried hibiscus flowers are steeped with cinnamon, cloves and orange peel and sweetened with a coconut sugar simple syrup for a delicious and refreshing beverage.
- 1 heaping cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 4-inch fresh orange peel
- 12 cups water, divided
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- Combine hibiscus flowers, cloves, cinnamon sticks, orange peel and 11 cups of water water into a large stock pot.
- Gently simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, stirring intermittently.
- Remove from heat and cover, and allow the mixture to steep for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To make simple syrup, mix coconut sugar and remaining cup of water together in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir to completely dissolve sugar.
- Once sorrel has steeped, strain the mixture into a pitcher and mix with simple syrup according to taste.
- Chill sorrel in the fridge before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Drinks
Keywords: sorrel, flor de jamaica, roselle, hibiscus tea, trinidadian sorrel, holiday drink, aip, paleo, vegan