Bitter and flavourful Swiss chard is an excellent match for caramelized onions and apples in this delicious side that is paleo, AIP, vegan and Whole30 compliant.
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (any variety is fine)
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 apple (any variety), cored and chopped
- 1 TBSP coconut aminos
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBSP fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 TBSP fresh thyme, picked
- Salt to taste
- Wash chard and tear away leaves from centre vein and stems. Roughly chop leaves, and slice stems into 1/4-inch thick pieces.
- In a very large skillet or deep cast iron pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Once oil is hot, add sliced onions and sauté 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure the onions are coated with oil. Ensure onions are evenly spread out in the pan and leave them to cook for another 5-7 minutes stirring only as needed. (You want to leave them alone enough to brown, but not burn).
- Once the onions have begun to caramelize, add crushed garlic and sauté an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add in chard stems and chopped apple, and sauté 3-5 minutes.
- Add chard leaves in batches, stirring to coat with oil and allow to wilt slightly before adding more. Once all the chard is incorporated, add coconut aminos and balsamic vinegar and sauté another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add fresh herbs and salt to taste.
- Enjoy warm.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Sides
Keywords: swiss chard, apple, balsamic vinegar, AIP, paleo, grain-free, Whole30, side dish