This Sweet Potato Casserole is a classic holiday dish that’s AIP, paleo and refined sugar free and topped with optional homemade paleo marshmallows.
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes (any variety – about 3 large sweet potatoes)
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 TBSP coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (unsweetened)
- 15 – 20 marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large pot of water, boil sweet potatoes with the skins on.
- Once fork tender, remove from heat and strain. Run the potatoes under cool water and use your fingers to slide the skins off.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into 1/4 -1/2 inch rounds.
- Add sliced sweet potato to a a large bowl along with cinnamon, sea salt, melted coconut oil, crushed pineapple and pineapple juice, and stir to combine.
- Layer the mixture into a casserole dish (8 x 8 or 9 x 13) and bake in the middle rack of the oven for 15 – 20 minutes.
- If using marshmallows, remove casserole from oven, add marshmallows and return to oven on “broil” for 30 seconds.*
- Serve warm.
* If using homemade marshmallows without preservatives or stabilizers, they need to to dry out for at least a day at room temperature to withstand the heat of the oven. Broil for no more than 30 seconds.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Baking
Keywords: aip, paleo, sweet potato, sweet potato casserole, dairy free, sides, holiday sides