These paleo and AIP Spiced Apple Cupcakes are light, fragrant and absolutely delicious. They’re paired with a spiced-vanilla frosting that compliments these cupcakes for the perfect Fall treat.
While pumpkin gets all the glory, baked goods with apple are my favorite Fall treats and these Spiced Apple Cupcakes might just be my favorite recipe created to-date. Their texture is so amazingly soft and fluffy and the naturally sweet and rich flavor of the tigernut flour lends itself perfectly to the warm spices of cinnamon, ginger, mace and clove.
Here are the main ingredients in these Apple Spice Cupcakes:
unsweetened applesauce – this is the entirety of the apple content in this recipe and used to create the moist, soft texture in these cupcakes
cinnamon, ginger, mace and cloves – these ground spices provide the most delicious compliment to the apple flavor in this recipe.
coconut sugar – you can also substitute maple sugar here if you prefer.
full fat coconut milk and olive oil – these are the fats in this recipe. I haven’t tried any other substitutions here.
palm shortening, tapioca starch, vanilla extract – for the frosting
Spiced-Apple Cupcakes FAQs
Can I substitute the palm shortening?
If you want to avoid palm shortening you can try drizzling the cupcakes with melted coconut butter or substituting whipped coconut cream but I haven’t tried myself so cannot guarantee this substitution.
Can I freeze these?
These freeze well but would recommend freezing before you frost them.
Can I make these coconut free?
The coconut flour is key to the texture in this recipe. But if you’re looking for a coconut free recipe that’s similar, try this Apple Cake.
Can I make the frosting in advance?
Yes. You can store it in the fridge, but it will harden a bit. Before you ice the cupcakes, allow frosting to come to room temperature and whisk once more until desired consistency is achieved.
If you loved these Spiced Apple Cupcakes I would appreciate it if you would give the recipe a rating and review. Be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious and using the hashtag #healmedelicious.
Here are some other Fall treats you might enjoy:Print
Spiced Apple Cupcakes (AIP, paleo)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 cupcakes 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 3/4 cup tigernut flour
- 1/4 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3 TBSP coconut or maple sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp mace (or nutmeg – AIP reintroduction)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp gelatin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup full fat, additive-free coconut milk
- 1.5 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup palm shortening
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 3–4 TBSP coconut sugar*
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375F and line cupcake pan with 6-7 liners.
- To a large bowl add tigernut flour, cassava flour, coconut flour, coconut or maple sugar, sea salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, mace, baking soda and gelatin. Stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl and add olive oil, unsweetened applesauce, vanilla and full fat coconut milk. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the apple cider vinegar. The batter consistency should change slightly, and will be thick but light.
- Distribute batter evenly into cupcake pan. Should make 6 cupcakes.
- Bake in middle rack of oven for 20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes bake, make frosting.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of stand or handheld mixer combine palm shortening with tapioca starch, coconut sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and a pinch of sea salt. Whisk or beat until combined.**
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
*3 TBSP is more than enough sweetener for my taste but if you prefer a sweeter frosting, use 4 TBSP/1/4 cup coconut or maple syrup.
**If making frosting in advance, store in fridge. Allow to come to room temperature and whisk before frosting the cupcakes.
Keywords: aip, paleo, fall baking, apple cupcakes, apple spice, apple spice cupcakes, grain free baking