This Roasted Delicata Squash and Kale Salad is a beautiful welcome to Fall. It’s hearty, warming and tossed in a delicious balsamic basil dressing that brings all the flavors together. It’s the perfect AIP, paleo, Whole30 and vegan salad or side dish.
- 1 medium-sized delicata squash, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced into thick wedges
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 cups kohlrabi, cubed (about 1 medium kohlrabi)
- 5–6 dried figs, sliced
- 1 head leafy green kale, finely sliced into ribbons
Basil Balsamic Dressing
- 1/2 TBSP basil, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice delicata squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Slice the squash into ½-inch wide pieces. Add squash pieces to a large bowl with sliced red onion and toss in olive oil and sea salt.
- Transfer squash and onions onto parchment-lined baking sheets and spread evenly, ensuring that the squash and onions are laying flat and that the sheet pans aren’t crowded so that they roast rather than steam.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping once in between so that both sides get perfectly golden brown.
- As squash and onions roast, wash and chop your kale into thin ribbons*, peel and chop kohlrabi into cubes, and thinly slice dried figs. Combine in a large salad bowl or on a serving platter and set aside.
- To prepare dressing, crush garlic and finely chop basil. Add to a mason jar or bowl along with balsamic vinegar and salt. Whisk in olive oil until an emulsion is formed.
- Once squash is golden brown, remove from oven and add to salad.
- Drizzle with salad dressing and serve warm.
*The thinner you slice the kale the better it will taste because it will more easily absorb the dressing. If you rather have bigger pieces of kale, you’ll want to ensure to massage the kale with some olive oil before mixing it with the other veggies in this salad.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Salads
Keywords: fall salad, delicata squash, kale, figs, kohlrabi, aip, paleo, whole30, vegan