These Pumpkin Spice Cake Donuts are soft, moist and chewy. They’re baked instead of fried and topped with a delicious maple-coconut glaze. They’re AIP, paleo and vegan!
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 2 TBSP coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 TBSP coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- Pinch of cloves
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup additive free, full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 TSBP apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil donut pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together cassava flour, coconut flour, baking soda, coconut sugar, sea salt, cinnamon, powdered ginger and pinch cloves.
- In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, coconut milk, pumpkin puree, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir to combine. Finally, fold in apple cider vinegar.Do not overmix.
- Immediately spoon batter into oiled donut pan.*
- Bake in middle rack of the oven for 15 minutes.** Use a toothpick to check for doneness. If it comes out clean, remove from oven, otherwise, continue cooking until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before removing from donut pan. To do so, place a cooling rack upside down on top of the donut pan. Using two hot pads, grab the sides of the donut pan and the cooling rack at the same time and in one smooth motion, flip them upside down. The donuts will release onto the cooling rack and this will minimize the amount you are actually handling the donuts before they have cooled.
- To make the glaze, combine melted coconut butter, maple syrup, warm coconut milk, vanilla extract and sea salt in a small bowl. Drizzle onto donuts once they have cooled.
* You want to ensure that you bake these right after folding in the apple cider vinegar to get the optimal texture and rise. If you leave the batter to sit out, the texture will not be the same.
** Some readers have noted that their donuts were not quite cooked at the 15 minute mark, possibly due to variations in often temperatures. I would suggest checking with a toothpick for doneness at 15 minutes and cooking longer if necessary.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Desserts
Keywords: pumpkin, pumpkin spice, pumpkin spice cake donuts, baked donuts, aip, paleo, vegan, fall desserts