This creamy AIP/Paleo One-Pan Chicken and Orzo with spinach recipe makes a hearty weeknight dinner. Crispy and juicy skillet chicken thighs bake together with grain-free orzo for a comforting one-pot meal that’s dairy-free and gluten-free.
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 4 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock or bone broth (sodium-free)
- 1 cup grain-free orzo
- 3 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- squeeze of lemon juice to finish
- fresh herbs (to garnish, optional)
- To a large bowl, add chicken thighs, 2 TBSP olive oil, dried herbs, salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Mix well to coat chicken in herb marinade.* Let chicken marinate for at least 20 minutes.**
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet (or other oven-safe skillet) to medium heat with remaining 2 TBSP olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, place chicken skin side down and sear on both sides until golden brown (approx 3-4 mins per side). Remove from heat and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add diced onion, garlic and salt, and sauté until onions turn translucent (approx 5-6 mins). If necessary, add a splash of water to the pan to loosen any brown bits.
- Add apple cider vinegar, coconut milk and chicken stock or bone broth and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in orzo and spinach and bring to a boil.
- Re-add chicken to the pan onto the orzo and spinach mixture. Transfer to the oven to bake, uncovered for 20-22 minutes or until thermometer inserted into chicken reads 165F.
- Finish with squeeze of fresh lemon juice and fresh herbs (if desired).
*Alternatively, in a small bowl, whisk together 2 TBSP olive oil with dried herbs, salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Add chicken to a large bowl and coat chicken in herb marinade for at least 20 minutes.
**Marinate chicken the night before or during meal prep to make this recipe quicker. Or, shorten the marination time if necessary.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Mains
- Method: Baked, Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken orzo, one-pan chicken and orzo, skillet chicken and orzo, cassava orzo, aip/paleo chicken orzo, dairy-free gluten-free chicken and orzo, gluten-free orzo, skillet chicken