These Moroccan-inspired Lamb Meatballs are juicy and delicious spiced with fresh mint, parsley and cilantro and stewed in a rich and fragrant nomato sauce. This dish is AIP, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
These Moroccan-inspired Lamb Meatballs are easy, quick and absolutely delicious. They’re made using simple ingredients that pack a flavorful punch. Because these meatballs are AIP elimination stage compliant, they don’t contain commonly used spices in Moroccan cuisine, such as cumin, paprika and coriander. Nonetheless, they are still super delicious!
These meatballs are pan seared before braising in a nightshade-free nomato sauce spiced with oregano and cinnamon and finished with chopped parsley.
Here’s what you need for these Moroccan-inspired Lamb Meatballs
- ground lamb
- fresh cilantro, parsley and mint
- dried oregano
- onion and garlic
- lemon zest
- nomato sauce
- olive oil
Can I use another protein?
These meatballs would also work well with ground beef, or a combination of beef and lamb.
Can I freeze this dish?
Yes, but I would recommend freezing the meatballs and sauce separately. For the juiciest meatballs, consider forming the meatballs and freezing them pre-cooked. When you are ready to serve them, sear them in oil before adding to the sauce.
What can I serve this with?
This dish tastes awesome with cauliflower rice and salad. You might try them with my Roasted Delicata Squash and Kale Salad.
If you try these Moroccan-inspired Lamb Meatballs I would appreciate it if you would give it a rating and short review. Also, be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious.
If you enjoyed these Lamb Meatballs you might like:Print
Moroccan-inspired Lamb Meatballs
These Moroccan-inspired Lamb Meatballs are made with mint, parsley and cilantro, stewed in a fragrant nomato sauce. They’re AIP, paleo & Whole30 compliant.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Mains
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 TBSP mint
- 1 small yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 3 cups nomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- fresh parsley to garnish
- To a food processor add cilantro, parsley, mint, onion, garlic and lemon zest and pulse until the onion and garlic are finely diced.*
- In a large bowl combine ground lamb with salt and cinnamon along with mixture from step 1.
- Use your hands to bring mixture together and shape into meatballs about 1-inch in diameter.
- In a large, deep skillet or cast iron pot over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Once warm, add meatballs in an even layer and cook ~ 5 minutes per side, ensuring that you get a nice sear on each side.
- Remove meatballs from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, add nomato sauce, cinnamon and oregano and bring to a simmer over low-medium heat.
- Return meatballs to the pan and allow to cook 5-7 minutes further.
- Remove from heat and serve warm, garnishing with freshly chopped parsley, if desired.
*If you don’t have a food processor, simply finely dice cilantro, parsley, mint, onion, garlic and lemon zest with a sharp knife.
Keywords: aip, paleo, whole30, lamb, lamb meatballs, cinnamon, parsley, mint