This Mango Arugula Avocado Salad is fresh, bright and delicious. It’s completely AIP, paleo and vegan, and the perfect spring and summer side.
I’ve always loved mangoes, but have been on a serious kick lately. I often find it tricky to find perfectly ripe mangoes here in Toronto. In my experience, they’re either too green and never ripen quite the way I want them to, or they’re too ripe. Though I still save my mango-eating for my summer trips to Trinidad when mangoes are in season, I’ve been lucking out lately and finding some amazing Ataulfo mangoes at my grocery.
In this AIP Mango Arugula Avocado Salad, just-ripe mangoes provide a bright, sweet and slightly tangy accompaniment to spicy arugula, creamy avocado and lightly pickled red onions. The vinaigrette is the real star of the show with fresh cilantro, ginger and garlic that pack a flavourful punch.
Tips/tricks on your salad ingredients
Red onions: Once you’ve chopped and sliced your salad ingredients, I like to begin by lightly pickling the red onions for 10 minutes. This helps take out some of the onion’s pungency and brings out its sweet notes. If you want to take some more bite out of the onions, go ahead and leave them in there longer.
Mango: For the mango, feel free to use any variety you can find. The key is that you want it to be just ripe so that you can create thin matchstick slices out of it. Too ripe and your mango will just be a mushy mess. It might taste great, but won’t look so.
Cilantro: Not a cilantro lover? Try replacing the cilantro in the dressing with some fresh basil, and as a second choice, some flat-leaf parsley.
Looking for more AIP bright and refreshing salads? Try my:
If you loved this Mango Arugula Avocado Salad, I would appreciate it if you would give it a star rating and short review. Don’t forget to snap a picture of the finished product! You can share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious.Print
This Mango Arugula Avocado Salad is fresh, bright and satisfying. It’s completely AIP, paleo and vegan, and the perfect side for all your Summer BBQ dishes.
- 6 cups arugula leaves
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into long thin slices
- 1 just ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 TBSP lime juice
- 3/4 cup warm water
- dash of salt
- 1 TBSP fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 TBSP fresh lime juice (about 1–2 small limes)
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Prep/slice/ chop all ingredients, separating those for salad and those for vinaigrette.
- Place sliced red onions in a small bowl. Add the warm water with a dash of salt and 1 TBSP lime juice. Let soak for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, drain the onion slices.
- In a salad bowl, combine arugula, mango, avocado and macerated red onion slices.
- To make your vinaigrette, combine all the ingredients in a small jar/bottle. Cover and shake until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Dress salad and serve immediately.
Keywords: salad, mango, arugula, AIP, paleo, vegan, summer salad