This Easy Instant Pot Pot Roast is destined to be a favorite. It’s super flavorful and delicious, AIP, Paleo and Whole30 compliant.
- ~2 lb beef chuck roast, room temperature
- 3 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 3 cups carrots, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 4 large shallots, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 TBSP nomato sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 4 medium-sized Japanese sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups beef bone broth (ensure ingredients are AIP compliant)
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1.5 tsp sea salt (plus more according to taste)
- 1 TBSP tapioca or arrowroot starch
- 2 TBSP cold water
- Rub salt on beef and allow to come to room temperature.
- Place 2 TBSP olive oil into Instant Pot and heat on saute function. Add seasoned beef to Instant Pot. Sear 2-3 mins per side until brown and then remove from pot.
- Add remaining 1 TBSP oil to Instant Pot along with shallots. Sauté until onions turn translucent, stirring frequently, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and nomato sauce and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Return beef to pot and add chopped carrots, sweet potatoes, coconut aminos, bone broth, bay leaves and thyme.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set pressure to high and cook for 45 minutes. Allow to slow release 15 minutes
- Remove beef, carrots and sweet potatoes from the Instant Pot and shred beef, using two forks.
- In a small bowl, whisk together arrowroot starch and 2 TBSP cold water. Select sauté setting on Instant Pot and bring liquid in the pot to a boil. Stir in the tapioca/arrowroot slurry and whisk to combine until the mixture begins to thicken 1-2 minutes. Adjust salt if necessary.
- Garnish shredded beef with fresh thyme and serve with carrots, sweet potatoes and gravy.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Mains
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pot roast, instant pot, beef roast, aip, paleo, whole30, instant pot pot roast, beef chuck roast