This Easy Instant Pot Pot Roast is destined to be a favorite. It’s super flavorful and delicious, AIP, Paleo and Whole30 compliant.
One (Instant) Pot is all you need to create this mouthwatering and comforting AIP pot roast. Because of the magic of the Instant Pot, and the hands off cooking time, this is not only a great hearty Sunday roast, but a meal you can pull off on the weeknights too.
Here are the main ingredients in this Instant Pot Pot Roast:
- beef chuck roast – you can use another cut like rump here, but chuck is my favorite!
- shallots and garlic – these are the aromatics in this dish
- nomato sauce and coconut aminos- these add a lovely depth of flavor to the dish. I recommend making a big batch of nomato sauce and storing it in the freezer for recipes like this one that just require a few tablespoons. I love the flavor the nomato sauce adds but you can also substitute it with more coconut aminos. Conversely, to keep this dish coconut free, sub the coconut aminos for more nomato sauce.
- white-fleshed sweet potatoes – any variety of white-fleshed sweet potatoes works here. My favorite are Japanese Murasaki potatoes, but Hannah sweet potatoes work as well. Can’t find either? Use orange sweet potatoes, parsnips or even radishes!
- fresh thyme and bay leaves – these herbs add incredible flavor and seasoning to the beef
- beef bone broth or stock – ensure the ingredients are AIP compliant
- tapioca or arrowroot starch – this is for thickening the gravy
Here’s how to make this Easy AIP/Paleo Pot Roast:
Step 1: Bring your beef to room temperature. This is key! The roast doesn’t become as tender if you sear it right out the fridge. I recommended taking it out the fridge, seasoning with salt and leaving it on the counter to get to room temperature before searing it.
Step 2: Add 2 TBSP olive oil to Instant Pot on Saute function and sear the beef on all sides (about 2-3 minutes per side). This adds flavor to the pot.
Step 3: Add remaining 1 TBSP oil to Instant Pot along with shallots. Sauté until shallots turn translucent, stirring frequently, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and nomato sauce and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Step 4: Return beef to pot and add chopped carrots, sweet potatoes, coconut aminos, bone broth, bay leaves and thyme.
Step 5: Place lid on Instant Pot and set pressure to high and cook for 45 minutes. Once done cooking, allow to slow release 15 minutes.
Step 6: Remove beef, carrots and sweet potatoes from the Instant Pot and shred the beef using two forks.
Step 7: In a small bowl, whisk together arrowroot starch and 2 TBSP cold water. Select sauté setting on Instant Pot and bring liquid in the pot to a boil. Stir in the tapioca/arrowroot slurry and whisk to combine until the mixture begins to thicken 1-2 minutes. Adjust salt if necessary.
Step 8: Garnish shredded beef with fresh thyme and serve with carrots, sweet potatoes and gravy.
If you loved this Instant Pot Pot Roast, I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star rating and short review. Also, be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious and using the hashtag #healmedelicious.