This easy Gluten-free Vegan Lemon Bars recipe is nut-free, egg-free, paleo and AIP diet complaint. A crispy grain-free, dairy-free shortbread crust is topped with a rich, bright lemon filling for a perfectly sweet, tangy, and delicious Spring treat.
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cassava flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch(plus more for dusting on top, optional)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup palm shortening or melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8×8″ pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine cassava and arrowroot flour, baking soda, salt, palm shortening or coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract until a soft dough forms.
- Press dough into lined baking pan in a smooth even layer and bake in middle rack of oven for 13-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool as you make the filling.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, maple sugar, coconut milk and arrowroot starch, salt and turmeric. Keep stirring until the mixture begins to thicken.*
- Once thick, spread the filling over the crust in an even layer and return to oven to bake 15 minutes further.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before refrigerating 2 hours to set completely, or overnight, if desired.
- Dust the tops of the squares with arrowroot starch, if desired (this is purely for an aesthetic component in lieu of powdered sugar which is not Paleo)
*Ensure the filling does not fully boil at a high temperature for a continued period, as the arrowroot starch will begin to lose its thickening properties. Keep whisking the filling over medium heat, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Chill Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free vegan lemon bars, gluten-free lemon bars, vegan lemon bars, dairy-free lemon bars, AIP/paleo lemon bars, egg-free lemon bars, nut-free lemon bars, gluten-free lemon squares, paleo lemon treats, AIP lemon desserts, lemon cookie bars, grain-free shortbread