These Easy Vegan Gluten-Free Biscuits are soft, light, tender and fluffy. Make these herbed AIP/paleo drop biscuits in under 30 minutes, for a quick and delicious dinner side to enjoy for the holidays or at anytime!
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. Products used in this recipe were sent to me by Bob’s and the opinions and text are all mine.
Freshly baked, warm and soft breads – especially biscuits – are so comforting and delicious. The smell, the taste, the texture – YUM!
Finding great bread baked without dairy, eggs, or grains, that doesn’t compromise on taste or texture, can be really difficult!
That’s why I’m so excited to share my simple and quick recipe for Easy Vegan Gluten-Free Biscuits, just in time for the holidays! This healthier spin on drop biscuits caters to many dietary requirements so that all eaters can partake and enjoy this delicious holiday side.
You’ll love these Vegan Gluten-free Biscuits because they’re:
- Grain-free, Gluten-free and Nut-free – It’s tricky to find a biscuit recipe that’s all three. I’ve created a customized mix of Bob’s Red Mill flours to meet this mark. These biscuits are pretty special, because it’s hard to find nut-free, grain and gluten free biscuits that are also…
- …Dairy-free and Vegan – these drop biscuits are made without milk, butter and eggs.
- Allergy-friendly, Paleo and AIP – they’re free of the top 8 allergens, cornstarch, yeast, refined sugar, and other stabilizers and gums that are often found in gluten-free biscuit recipes.
- SO moist and tender – even without dairy and oil!
- Super quick and easy – this recipe is simple to follow and you can whip these up on a busy weeknight in no time. Since they’re drop biscuits, the dough requires no kneading, no rolling and no cutting! Just drop and bake!
- Slightly crispy on the outside and soft and light inside – and they taste absolutely delicious!
These gluten-free, vegan drop biscuits are a great addition to any meal and they’re sure to be a hit at your next holiday gathering!
what are drop biscuits?
Drop biscuits are a type of quick bread that have more liquid in its dough than rolled biscuits. The dough’s texture is softer, wetter and more runny than traditional rolled biscuits.
Since the dough is moister, it cannot be kneaded, rolled out or cut out. The batter is simply ‘dropped’ from a spoon onto a baking sheet or pan and then baked.
The dough doesn’t require much manipulation and there’s no rolling or cutting, so these biscuits are really fast and easy to make. Drop biscuits have a beautiful freeform shape and textured exterior.
They’re quick, rustic and delicious!
here’s what you’ll need to make these easy vegan and gluten-free biscuits from scratch:
- Bob’s Red Mill Cassava Flour, Bob’s Red Mill Coconut Flour, Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca Flour – the homemade grain-free, nut-free and gluten-free flour blend used in this recipe. I used and recommend Bob’s Red Mill flours. I do not recommend any substitutions to this flour combination.
- Cream of Tartar, Baking Soda & Apple Cider Vinegar – for aeration and leavening, these ingredients help the biscuits to rise without yeast or conventional baking powder
- Sea Salt – a baking staple
- Unsweetened Coconut Yogurt – to help with moisture, fat content, and some binding. Ensure that there are no added sweeteners, and that it’s thick and full fat.
- Coconut Milk – ensure you use canned, full fat, additive free coconut milk. It’s creamy and thick, and the ingredients are only coconut and water.
- Carbonated Water – for aeration and more liquid moisture, this ingredient is crucial to the texture of the biscuits. Use your favorite brand of carbonated water or make your own seltzer with a sparkling water maker, just ensure it’s unflavored and unsweetened and freshly opened or carbonated if making your own.
- Maple Syrup – an unrefined, natural sweetener. Only a little bit is needed in this recipe to add some moisture and help bind these egg-free biscuits.
- Chives – this is optional but I recommend adding some chives or other herbs of your choice for a little extra flavor
- Flaky Sea Salt – also optional, to sprinkle on top the biscuits before baking
how to make homemade drop biscuits without eggs or dairy
It’s really easy! Follow these step by step instructions to make the best, quick and easy egg-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free biscuits:
- First, preheat your oven to 450F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Second, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Then, in a separate bowl, combine coconut milk, coconut yogurt and maple syrup.
- Next, add the wet coconut mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in the apple cider vinegar, carbonated water and chopped herbs.
- Then, scoop and drop the batter onto the lined baking sheet. Top with additional herbs and flaky salt (optional).
- Finally, bake in the middle rack of the oven until the tops are golden brown, about 13 minutes.
- Allow to cool fully before serving. First, let the biscuits cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes. Then, transfer the drop biscuits to a cooling rack to cool further before eating.
tips for making vegan, gluten-free drop biscuits with the best taste and texture
You want to make sure your drop batter is optimal to get soft and fluffy biscuits that are lightly golden and crispy on the outside. Follow these tips for the best results!
- You must use full fat coconut milk from a can
- The full-fat coconut milk is key to the texture. When you use boxed or lite coconut milks or beverages that are thin and watery, you will not get the necessary fat content you need for the desired texture of these drop biscuits
- Pro Tip: Full-fat, additive-free coconut milk will likely separate in the can because it isn’t filled with any gums, stabilizers or preservatives. To recombine, pour the coconut milk into a pot and heat it on the stove. Whisk together before using it in the recipe.
- You must use freshly opened or freshly carbonated water
- Carbonation is necessary for the desired texture, so the water must be newly opened or made so that it’s bubbly/fizzy. The carbonation helps create a light and airy drop batter so that the biscuits are light and fluffy on the inside with a slightly crispy exterior.
- Do not overmix or over-manipulate the batter in any way, as you want the mixture to maintain its air bubbles so that it’s a whipped, light, fluffy texture.
- Breaking into the biscuits before they set will result in a gummy texture. You must let them cool. The end result should be drop biscuits that are bouncy, light and delicious.
- Check out the video to see the texture of the batter before baking, as well as the texture of the final biscuits.
easy vegan gluten-free biscuits FAQs
can i make any changes to the flour combination?
These vegan biscuits are made with a specially customized blend of grain and gluten free flours to achieve the perfect consistency and texture. I don’t recommend any substitutions to this flour combination. If you want to learn more about combining grain-free flours, check out my Secrets to Grain-free Baking Guide.
can i make these without coconut?
No, the coconut flour, coconut milk and coconut yogurt are all integral to the biscuits’ texture and moisture. If you’re looking for a coconut-free bread, try my vegan and grain-free AIP/paleo Sourdough Bread.
can i make any other ingredient substitutions?
I don’t recommend any replacements in this recipe except for the optional chives. You can use any herbs that you’d like!
what can I eat with these savory vegan drop biscuits?
These herb biscuits are the perfect accompaniment to hearty holiday meals and quick weeknight dinners alike!
Also check out AIP Holiday Eats for more great accompaniments to these biscuits.
how do I store them?
These are definitely best eaten fresh! You can store any leftovers in a sealed container on a countertop for up to 3 days or in the fridge for a bit longer. Remember to toast or reheat them in the oven before serving.
can i freeze these vegan gluten-free biscuits?
Definitely! You can freeze these in a resealable freezer bag or freezer safe container. Try thawing them at room temperature for a bit, then reheat them in the oven or microwave before serving!
If you try these Easy Vegan Gluten Free Biscuits, I would love it if you would give it a star rating and short review. Also, be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious and using the hashtag #healmedelicious.
here are some more delicious grain-free, AIP/paleo holiday sides you’ll love:
- Butternut Squash Biscuits
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Creamy Cauliflower Gratin
- Hassleback Squash
- Caribbean Plantain Casserole
- AIP Holiday Eats eBook – with 12 exclusive and festive recipes for a delicious holiday gathering
- Thanksgiving Roundup
you might enjoy these other gluten and grain free aip/paleo breads:
- AIP Wild Leek Sourdough Flatbread
- Easy AIP Crepes
- Cassava Wraps
- Sweet Potato Tortillas
- Vegan, Paleo/AIP Sourdough Bread
- Grain Free Academy