These Chicken Meatballs in Creamy Mushroom Sauce are simple, comforting, flavorful and easy to prepare. They’re AIP, paleo and Whole30 compliant and a great one-pan weeknight meal to serve with veggies.
- 1 lb ground chicken (or turkey)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 TBSP fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 2.5 TBSP olive oil (divided)
Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup mushrooms (cremini, button or baby bella), minced*
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk (additive free)
- 1.5 cups bone broth or chicken stock
- sea salt (to taste)
- 1 TBSP tapioca starch
- 1 TBSP water
- In a large bowl combine ground chicken, lemon zest, finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, finely chopped rosemary, sea salt and 1 TBSP olive oil.
- Use your hands to bring the mixture together and carefully form into 1-inch meatballs. The mixture will be soft and sticky, but it will hold together during cooking. If the wetness/stickiness bothers you, feel free to use gloves during this process.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining 1.5 TBSP olive oil on medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, add meatballs in an even layer and cook 5-6 mins per side until golden brown.
- Remove meatballs from pan and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add 1 TBSP olive oil over medium heat.
- Add crushed garlic and sauté until garlic begins to brown.
- Add finely minced mushrooms*, lemon zest, and rosemary and sauté 5 minutes further, stirring frequently.
- Next, add in coconut milk, bone broth or chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add salt to taste and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, make a slurry by combining tapioca starch with water. Add slurry to pan and whisk over heat until mixture begins to thicken.
- Reduce heat, return meatballs to the pan and allow to cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary or parsley and serve warm.
* If you have a food processor, I recommend preparing the mushrooms in one so that they’re really finely minced and this cuts the time in half.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: One pot meal
Keywords: aip, paleo, whole30, chicken, meatballs, mushroom, chicken meatballs, mushroom cream sauce, one-pan meal