This Slow Cooker Chicken and Pumpkin Soup is a hearty, rich, creamy and delicious dish. Made using fresh pumpkin, ground chicken, fresh basil and cilantro, it’s AIP, paleo, flavor packed and sure to please!
- 3 TBSP coconut or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots or 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 2.5 tsp sea salt*
- 3 cups cubed pumpkin, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups chicken stock or bone broth
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 2 inch piece of lemongrass
- 4 cups leafy greens (spinach, kale, chard, etc.)
- To a large stockpot, crockpot or Instant Pot add coconut oil on the sauté function.
- Add shallots, garlic and ginger and sauté on medium heat 5-7 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add chicken, cilantro, basil and sea salt and allow the chicken to cook.
- Add the pumpkin and stir to combine, followed by the chicken stock or bone broth, coconut milk and lemongrass.
- Cover the slow cooker and set to 1 hr on LOW.**
- Once the soup is done, remove the lid and stir the soup together so that the pumpkin melts into the soup.
- Fold in your leafy greens, stirring until they begin to wilt.
- Taste and adjust for salt accordingly and remove lemongrass from soup.
- Garnish with additional basil and cilantro.
* I use unsalted bone broth so this is the amount of salt I start with and then I add more once the soup is cooked as needed. Be mindful of this if your broth or stock is salted. You can always add more salt but you can’t remove it!
** If making on the stovetop, allow the soup to come to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover the pot and cook 20-30 minutes, stirring intermittently.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Soups + Stews
Keywords: aip, paleo, whole30, soups, stews, pumpkin soup, pumpkin recipes, crockpot recipes, slow cooker recipes, slow cooker soup, Instant Pot recipes