These AIP, paleo and vegan Banana Spice muffins made with cassava flour and coconut butter are soft, fluffy and absolutely scrumptious.
This post contains affiliate links.
These AIP Banana Spice Muffins might just become your favourite banana baked goods. They have for me!
I would describe the texture of these muffins as a cross between banana-bread and a banana cake. They make an absolutely delicious addition to your breakfast and are also great as an afternoon snack with a cup of tea.
I made these muffins on a whim last week because I had ripe bananas and wanted a change from banana bread. I’m so glad that I wrote down what I was doing the first time I made them because these were a huge success!
Here’s what you need for these AIP Banana Spice Muffins:
- Coconut butter: In this recipe, coconut butter both helps to bind the ingredients. You want to ensure it’s soft, but not completely melted (think of the texture of a thick nut butter).
- Palm shortening: palm shortening helps create that desirable cake-like texture. Coconut oil will not work the same in this recipe.
- Cassava Flour: Cassava flour lends a neutral taste to these muffins and I wouldn’t recommend any other substitutions.
- Maple syrup: This adds a wonderful light sweetness to the muffins and some additional moisture. I really love the natural sweetness bananas provide in baked goods, though. Oftentimes, like in my banana bread recipe, I’ll exclude added sugars. altogether. If you’re avoiding added sugars (even unrefined AIP-approved ones), feel free to omit the maple syrup. If your bananas are super ripe, you won’t miss it.
- Powdered Ginger, Ground Cloves and Cinnamon: the ultimate AIP-approved spice mix.
This recipe makes 6 large muffins and they’re pretty satiating due to the use of the coconut butter. Feel free to double the recipe if you’d like a full dozen, but know that they’re quite filling!
If you loved these Banana Spice Muffins I would appreciate it if you would give it a rating and review. Be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious and using the hashtag #healmedelicious.
Looking for more muffins? How about:
- Zucchini Carrot Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Sweet Potato, Bacon and Chive Muffins
- Pumpkin Banana Muffins