This Apple Spice Cake is made with extra virgin olive oil for a soft, fragrant and absolutely delicious treat that is AIP, paleo and coconut-free. It’s paired with a vanilla frosting that beautifully compliments the apple and spices for the perfect Fall treat.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBSP unsweetened applesauce
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 tsps pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBSP tigernut flour
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBSP tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- pinch cloves
- 1 gelatin egg (see below)
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup apple (any variety), peeled and grated
- 1 TBSP gelatin powder
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBSP hot water
- 1 cup palm shortening
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, add olive oil, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine tigernut flour, cassava flour, tapioca starch, sea salt, baking soda, cinnamon, powdered ginger and cloves.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in 2-3 batches mixing to combine fully between each addition.
- Make gelatin egg by combining gelatin with apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Slowly add in hot water and use a fork to whisk until the mixture becomes frothy and gelatin is fully combined.
- Fold gelatin egg into cake batter.
- Finally, fold in lemon zest and grated apple.
- Evenly distribute batter across three 4-inch cake pans (or desired pan of choice and grease pan if necessary)
- Bake in middle rack of oven for 20 minutes*
- Once baked, remove from heat and allow to cool 10 minutes before removing cakes from springform pans and longer if using a larger pan. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- In a stand mixer or food processor, combine palm shortening with tapioca starch, maple syrup, vanilla extract and pinch of sea salt. Whisk or pulse until combined.**
- Once cakes have cooled completely, use a large knife to even out the top of each cake.
- Place the first cake on a plate and top with a large dollop of the frosting. Repeat with the second and third layers of cake. Use an offset spatula to finish frosting the outside of the cake with remaining frosting. Be freeform with it to give it a rustic, unfinished look.
*Baking time will vary if you choose to use a different sized pan.
**If making in advance, store in the fridge. Allow to come to room temperature and whisk once more before icing the cake.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breads + Cakes
Keywords: apple spice cake, olive oil cake, aip, paleo, coconut free, fall baking, aip cake