This creamy AIP Swiss chard gratin is made with coconut milk, sautéed garlic and breadcrumbs. It’s deliciously creamy, totally dairy-free and 100% AIP-approved, and a side dish that you’re going to want to keep making.
The creaminess of the coconut milk thickened with tapioca starch lends a cheese-like texture and mild natural sweetness that’s so satisfying and complimentary to the bitterness of the chard. In my household, we often pair this with a protein like rainbow trout or baked chicken.
To make this dish, you simply wash and chop the chard (stems included). Thinly slice some garlic and sauté in some extra virgin olive oil until just brown.
To the pan, add the chard stems, then the chard leaves, the thickened coconut milk and sea salt. Pour into a shallow dish and top with homemade AIP bread crumbs. To make the AIP breadcrumbs, I toasted a few slices of my AIP sourdough bread and pulsed them in the food processor until they turned into the consistency of breadcrumbs. Crushed plantain chips also work really well here in place of the breadcrumbs.
Looking for more AIP veggie side dishes? You might also enjoy:
If you try this AIP Swiss Chard Gratin, I would love it if you would give the recipe a star rating and short review. Also, be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious and using the hashtag #healmedelicious.Print
AIP Swiss Chard Gratin
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
This creamy Swiss chard gratin is made with coconut milk, sautéed garlic and breadcrumbs. It’s deliciously creamy, totally dairy-free and 100% AIP-approved, and a side dish that you’re going to want to keep making.
- 2 bunches Swiss chard (green or rainbow), leaves and stems chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups full fat, coconut milk (additive free)
- 1.5 TBSP tapioca starch
- 1 TBSP water
- sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup AIP breadcrumbs (or substitute crushed plantain chips)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Wash and chop Swiss chard (leaves and stems), thinly slice garlic and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add coconut milk and heat on medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together tapioca starch and water to make a slurry.
- Pour slurry into coconut milk, reduce heat and whisk until thickened. Season with sea salt to taste, and remove from heat.
- In a large cast iron/oven safe skillet, heat extra virgin olive oil on medium heat.
- Add thinly sliced garlic and sauté until just brown.
- Next, add in chard stems and sauté (2-3 minutes). Add chard leaves in batches, stirring to coat with oil and allow to wilt slightly before adding more. Sauté another 1-2 minutes.
- Add thickened coconut milk, taste for salt and adjust as needed. Remove from heat.
- If desired, sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over the top of the gratin.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until brown and crispy on top.
- Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
Keywords: swiss chard, gratin, breadcrumbs, AIP gratin
Leave a Reply