These AIP Speculaas/speculoos are the most delicious light and crispy spiced shortbread cookies that are perfect for the holiday season. They’re AIP, paleo, vegan and coconut-free.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Add palm shortening, maple syrup, lemon zest and vanilla extract to a stand or hand held mixer and mix until combined.
- In a large bowl add cassava flour, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger and mix until combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add in palm shortening mixture. Use a fork and then your hands to combine ingredients into a ball of dough.
- Remove dough from bowl and place between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out dough to a rectangle 1/4 inch in thickness
- Refrigerate rolled out dough for 7 mins.
- If desired, use a cookie stamp or embossed rolling pin to imprint the surface of the cookie dough or skip this step!
- Use a pastry knife, pizza wheel or large knife to cut the dough on the parchment paper into evenly-sized rectangles. Dough will be fragile so there’s no need to move the cookies around/space them out on the parchment paper as they don’t spread while baking.
- Carefully transfer parchment paper with cookies to a large baking sheet.
- Bake in middle rack of oven for 12- 13 minutes.
- Once the cookies are out of the oven, allow them to cool completely before handling or they will break.*
* These cookies will be incredibly fragile once out the oven and still hot. I do not suggest moving them off the cookie sheet until they have cooled completely.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Category: Cookies
Keywords: aip, paleo, coconut-free, dairy-free, cookies, holiday cookies, speculaas, speculoos