These AIP Speculaas/speculoos are the most delicious light and crispy spiced biscoff shortbread cookies that are perfect for the holiday season. They’re AIP, paleo, vegan and coconut-free.
This post contains affiliate links.
These AIP Speculaas/speculoos are one of my favorite holiday cookies. They’re perfectly crispy and buttery tasting without the dairy, wonderfully spiced with ginger, cinnamon, vanilla and cloves and have the most subtle hint of bright citrus from the lemon zest. They’re AIP, paleo, vegan and coconut free and they make perfect holiday gifts because they keep well on the counter in a sealed container for up to 3 weeks.
I’m so excited to bring you this recipe in collaboration with the lovely Michelle from Unbound Wellness! We wanted to do something fun for the holidays and put our heads together. I created these AIP speculaas and she an amazing cookie butter that uses these cookies as the base of the batter. Drool! Have you ever had cookie butter? If not, now’s your chance. Everything Michelle makes is fantastic – you won’t regret it!
Here’s what you’ll need for these AIP Speculaas:
- palm shortening – for the classic buttery flavor and texture of speculaas/speculoos, without the dairy. This is a dairy-free, coconut-free fat alternative for folks who cannot tolerate coconut
- maple syrup – the unrefined sweetener
- lemon zest – for a subtle, delicious pop of citrus
- vanilla extract – ensure it’s pure vanilla without any “natural” flavors
- cassava flour – grain-free, gluten-free flour
- cinnamon, cloves & powdered ginger – the ultimate AIP-approved spice mix that adds the perfect amount of spice, flavor and warmth
FAQs for AIP Speculaas
How do I store these?
These keep really well in a sealed jar/container on the counter for up to 3 weeks. They’re perfect for gifting!
What can I use to imprint my cookies?
Some speculaas are made using cookie molds. In lieu of that you can imprint your cookies using a cookie stamp or embossed rolling pin. Don’t have one? Try imprinting your cookies with the side of a grater, a gnocchi board or even a fork. You can also skip this step altogether – they’re just as tasty!
Can I replace the palm shortening?
I haven’t had luck replacing the palm shortening with another ingredient in this recipe.
If you loved these AIP Speculaas I would appreciate it so much if you would give the recipe a star rating and short review. Also, be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious and using the hashtag #healmedelicious.
Looking for more gluten-free, dairy-free, AIP/paleo holiday Cookies? Try:
- AIP Linzer Cookies
- AIP Gingersnaps
- ‘Chocolate’ Plantain Chip Cookies
- Paleo Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Grain-free AIP/Paleo Thumbprint Cookies
- AIP/Paleo Cutout Christmas Sugar Cookies
- AIP/Paleo Holiday Cookie Roundup