This Grain free Pumpkin Pie has a light and flaky crust that you’ll never believe is AIP and paleo. The filling is rich and flavorful with all your favorite pumpkin spices and is dairy and coconut free.
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp palm shortening, frozen
- 1 1/4 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 TBSP coconut sugar or maple sugar (for coconut free)
- 1/2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp ice cold water
- 1/2 cup water + 1.5 TBSP gelatin*
- 2.5 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl add cassava flour, salt and sugar.
- Add frozen palm shortening to food processor and pulse until it is broken up into pea-sized pieces.*
- Add cassava flour, sea salt, coconut sugar, apple cider vinegar and ice cold water to the food processor and pulse until it is just combined into a dough. (You may need a few TBSP less or more water depending on the climate you’re in so use your discretion.)
- Using your hands, gently shape into a round ball and place between two pieces of parchment paper and use your hands to flatten it out into a disc.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough out to 12 inches in diameter.
- Carefully place pie crust into pie dish. If dough is feeling too soft/tacky, place in fridge for 5-10 minutes. Otherwise, crimp edges of the crust. Here is a great resource on how to do so.
- Poke holes in crust along the base and the sides using a fork. This allows steam to escape and prevents it from bubbling as the crust bakes.
- Bake in middle rack of the oven for 40 – 45 minutes or until the crust is golden at the edges.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in pie dish.
- Add water to a small dish and sprinkle gelatin on top to allow it to bloom.**
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized saucepan on medium heat add pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, maple syrup, cinnamon and ginger and whisk to combine.***
- Add tapioca starch, pinch of sea salt and whisk to combine.
- Finally, add in bloomed gelatin and whisk quickly and continuously to combine into a smooth mixture.
- Remove from heat and pour filling into cooled pie crust.
- Smooth the top using an offset spatula and refrigerate for 4-6 hours to set.
* Do not overmix or palm shortening will soften and clump together.
**Please note, hydrolyzed gelatin will not work in this recipe as it does not set.
*** Ensure that your pumpkin puree is smooth before adding it to the saucepan. If necessary, pulse in a food processor or blender to achieve this.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Desserts
Keywords: aip, paleo, coconut-free, pumpkin, pumpkin pie, thanksgiving recipes, grain free pie, pumpkin recipes, holiday recipes, fall recipes, grain free baking