This creamy gluten-free, AIP/Paleo Chicken and Dumpling Soup is rich and comforting. Made with juicy chicken thighs, fresh vegetables and grain-free dumplings, this hearty one-pot meal is wholesome and delicious.
Get cozy with a bowl of this nourishing AIP/Paleo Chicken and Dumpling Soup. It’s the perfect comfort food to keep you warm during the cold winter months!
Creamy chicken soup without dairy?
- That’s right! This recipe is an allergy-friendly, AIP/paleo version of chicken and dumplings, so that means it’s completely dairy free.
- The trick is the full-fat coconut cream that makes this soup so creamy and dairy-free. Don’t worry, there isn’t a strong coconut flavor here as it’s well balanced with the chicken stock or bone broth.
- I’ve used this technique in my White Chicken Chili recipe which has a similarly silky, creamy texture with a flavorful chicken base.
what you’ll need to make this aip/paleo chicken soup recipe:
- olive oil – for sautéeing the aromatics and browning the chicken.
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs – I love the deeper flavor of dark meat, but you can use chicken breasts if you prefer.
- yellow onion, celery, carrots, garlic – the aromatic base of the soup that gives a wonderful depth of flavor.
- sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder – the spices used to season the chicken
- fresh sage and thyme – I recommend using fresh herbs in this soup for the best flavor and results but dried herbs work if you’re in a pinch
- chicken bone broth – you can use a store bought variety or make your own. You can also use chicken stock. I use sodium free bone broth, so this is something to keep in mind when adding the salt called for in this recipe. If you’re following AIP, ensure the ingredients are compliant.
- full fat, additive-free coconut cream – for a rich and creamy texture without the dairy. I haven’t tried substituting with full fat coconut milk but suspect the broth will be thinner and less creamy.
- chives – optional, for garnish
How to make fluffy grain-free dumplings:
- In this recipe I’m using a combination of cassava flour, coconut flour and arrowroot flour/starch – a blend of nut-free, gluten-free and grain-free flours. The different properties of each of these flours plus the leavening agents below really makes the dumplings the perfect texture.
- sea salt
- baking soda and cream of tartar – this homemade AIP, grain-free baking powder makes the dumplings fluffier in addition to helping them rise while cooking
- full fat coconut milk – If you’re following AIP, ensure it’s additive-free.
hearty stovetop aip/paleo chicken and dumpling soup with vegetables
- First, in a large stockpot, cook onion, celery and carrots in olive oil until onions are translucent.
- Then, add garlic, chicken thighs, herbs and spices and cook about 5 minutes, browning the chicken on all sides.
- Next, reduce heat and add chicken broth. Allow to simmer 20-25 minutes.
- While soup simmers, make the dumplings by combining all ingredients to make a soft dough.
- Then, transfer chicken to a bowl with a slotted spoon and shred with two forks. Add shredded chicken back to soup.
- Add coconut cream and allow to come to simmer.
- Next, spoon the dumpling dough into balls and place into the simmering pot for 5-10 minutes. Don’t overcook dumplings or else they will dissolve.
- Taste and adjust salt as necessary.
- Finally, remove from heat. Garnish individual servings with sliced chives (optional).
Slow cooker chicken and dumplings:
Making this AIP/paleo chicken and dumpling soup in a slow cooker or Instant Pot is really easy! To make this soup in a slow cooker or Instant pot:
- First, use medium heat on your slow cooker or the Sauté function on your Instant Pot to sauté the aromatics and brown the chicken. (Follow Steps 1-3 from the recipe card below). This can also be done on the stovetop, before transferring to the slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- Next, add bone broth and cook on Low for 1 hour.
- Follow Steps 5-7 from recipe card in your slow cooker or Instant Pot:
- Make dumplings as described in step 5.
- Remove chicken, shred, and return to slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- Add coconut cream and let simmer on Low.
- Lastly, add your dumplings at the very end and cook on High for 5-10 minutes. You don’t want to cook them too long, or else they will dissolve.
variations to try
The grain-free dumplings created for this recipe are an AIP/paleo take on the more traditional style of chicken and dumplings.
other faqs for this aip/paleo chicken and dumpling soup
can i make this soup coconut-free?
The coconut cream really is key to the amazing texture, and I promise it doesn’t leave a strong flavor in this soup. The coconut milk also helps bind the dumpling dough. If you’re looking for a coconut-free AIP/paleo soup, try my Hearty Ground Turkey Soup with Vegetables.
If you’d like to try this soup without the coconut ingredients, it won’t be as rich and creamy as this version. You could try substituting the coconut cream with more bone broth and another type of milk that you can tolerate. Similarly, replace the coconut milk in the dumplings with another type of milk.
can i substitute any other ingredients?
Refer to the Ingredients section of the blog post for my suggestions.
how do i store this aip/paleo chicken and dumplings?
Store this soup overnight in the fridge. Reheat on the stovetop before serving.
can i freeze this dish?
Yes, this soup freezes well. I recommend defrosting in the fridge until liquid and then reheating on the stovetop before serving.
If you try this creamy AIP/Paleo Chicken and Dumpling Soup I would love if you could give the recipe a star rating and short review. Be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious
you’ll love these other comforting aip/paleo soups:
- Chicken and Pumpkin Soup
- Ginger-Garlic Pork Noodle Soup
- Turkey and Kale Soup
- Gingery Roasted Winter Squash Soup
you might enjoy these other cozy aip/paleo one-pot meals:
- Balsamic Mushroom Pasta
- Creamy Garlic Pork and Spinach
- Paleo Chili (AIP, Nightshade Free)
- AIP Lamb Curry with Cauliflower