This AIP Charred Broccolette and Cabbage Salad is so simple, yet stands out both in terms of flavour and its variety of textures.
You know that feeling you get when you leave a restaurant and you’re thinking about how great the simplest salad tasted? “Why don’t my salads taste like that at home?”
I used to think this way too, before a chef taught me some of the secrets behind great salads. One of these ‘secrets’ is to start with a base and think of each additional ingredient as adding contrast in terms of texture and flavour. This well-balanced salad definitely meets that mark!
This recipe is actually an AIP take on a wonderful charred broccoli salad from The Progress, one of my favourite restaurants in San Francisco.
This Charred Broccolette and Cabbage Salad begins with a base of raw red cabbage. Broccolette is then charred to bring out its natural sweetness and to add contrast to the crunchy cabbage. The red onions provide a pungent burst of flavour that is rounded out by the dates and fresh parsley.
In my opinion, the real star of this salad is the dressing. Made for ginger lovers, it’s zesty and bright and brings together all the salad’s components.
This salad is a great one to prep ahead of meal-time as it holds well. In fact, it might even taste better with time as the ginger infuses the ingredients.
Enjoy this salad with some of my other dinner favourites:
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS AIP SALADS? TRY:
- Herbed Cauliflower Salad
- Shaved Vegetable Spring Salad
- Roasted Squash and Chicory Salad
- Sautéed Kale Salad with Grapes
If you try this Charred Broccolette and Cabbage recipe, please let me know by leaving a rating and comment and tagging @healmedelicious on Instagram or Facebook.Print
AIP Charred Broccolette & Cabbage Salad (paleo, vegan)
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
This crunchy, AIP Charred Broccolette and Cabbage Salad is well-balanced with the sweetness of dates and a zesty ginger vinaigrette.
- 1 small head purple cabbage
- 4 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large bunch of brocolette or 1 small bunch broccoli
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil to pan and allow to get very hot.
- When the pan is smoking, add the broccolette florets and the sliced stems in an even layer. Cook undisturbed for 2 to 3 minutes or until the undersides are becoming charred. Flip florets and cook 2 mins more on other side. You want the broccolette lightly charred, but still crunchy.
- Transfer broccolette to bowl and season to taste with sea salt.
- Next, thinly slice or shred cabbage using a mandoline. Finely chop dates and parsley and add to salad bowl along with broccolette.
- Dress salad and allow to sit a few minutes before serving.
- Crush your garlic and grate fresh ginger.
- Measure liquid ingredients (olive oil, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup) – I like to measure and mix everything directly in the glass measuring cup.
- Add garlic, ginger and sea salt to measuring cup and whisk until all ingredients are fully blended.
- Taste and adjust as necessary
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Salad
Keywords: cabbage salad, purple cabbage, salads, dates, brocollette
Leave a Reply