These deliciously fluffy Lemon Glazed AIP Blueberry Donuts are both yeast-free and baked rather than fried. They’re super quick to come together and sure to brighten up your day!
This was one of the first recipes I created on the blog and every time I make them it takes me back to the summer of 2020 when Heal Me Delicious first began. In their first iteration these donuts were vegan, but after testing with different brands of tigernut flour, I’ve found that they really do need more of a binder to keep them together. In the updated version of this recipe, I’ve added a gelatin egg to do just that.
These baked AIP donuts are light and soft and have a cake-like texture. The lemon glaze is made by adding just a pinch of turmeric to the coconut butter-based mixture to achieve a beautiful bright yellow colour. Don’t worry, it doesn’t impart its flavour, just a lovely burst of colour!
You can also opt to decorate your donuts with some unsweetened shredded coconut and a few more blueberries if you’re really feeling fancy.
Here are the key ingredients in these AIP Blueberry Donuts:
- Tigernut flour, coconut flour and tapioca starch – this combination makes for a wonderfully light texture and I don’t recommend any substitutions.
- Coconut oil – you’ll want to ensure it’s melted for this recipe
- Full fat coconut milk – as always, ensure it’s additive free and unsweetened. For this recipe I also recommend warming the milk before adding it to the oil, just so that it doesn’t cause the oil to solidify.
- Unsweetened applesauce – these add both sweetness and moisture to the donuts
- Cinnamon, vanilla extract and maple syrup – all contribute to the delicate and delicious flavour of these donuts
- Blueberries – you can use either frozen or fresh blueberries and both wild and regular varieties of blueberries work here too to provide bursts of natural sweetness.
- Gelatin powder – this is used to make a gelatin egg and serves as an egg replacement and is key for the donuts to stay together.
- Apple cider vinegar – don’t worry, you won’t taste it. This provides some acidity for the baking soda to interact with.
- An optional lemon coconut glaze takes things up a notch and transforms these into a beautiful treat that will be sure to impress even your non-AIP friends and family members. For the glaze you’ll also need coconut butter and turmeric (for color)
As with many AIP baked goods that don’t have real eggs, it’s important that you let these donuts cool slightly before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely before icing/eating. Try moving them too soon and they are guaranteed to crumble.
Blueberry Donut FAQs
Can I substitute any of the flours?
This combination of flours and starches is what I’ve found to work best in this recipe to achieve the desired texture so I can’t recommend any other AIP substitutions.
Can I make these without a donut pan?
You could try rolling them into donut holes and baking them on a parchment lined baking sheet. They probably won’t need as much time in the oven so you’d have to check in on them!
How do I store these?
You can store these in a sealed container at room temperature for 2 days. Beyond that, I like to store them in the fridge for up to 4 days for optimal freshness. You can also freeze them!
My donuts are crumbling, what should I do?
These donuts are delicate so the best way to prevent them from crumbling is to let them cool! As noted above, you want to ensure these donuts cool slightly before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely before icing/eating. It’s also very fimportant that you grease the donut pan – even if it says non-stick. You want the donuts to be able to slide out the pan when baked to minimize any crumbling.
Looking for more AIP berry-licious recipes? Try:
- Lemon Blueberry Banana Bread
- AIP Blueberry Swirl Ice Cream
- Lemon Custard with Strawberry Compote
- Strawberry Basil Ice Cream
- Mixed Berry Galettes
- Paleo Wild Blueberry Beet Smoothie
Here are some other AIP and paleo donuts you might enjoy:
- Baked Chocolate Donuts with Raspberries
- Salted Caramel Cinnamon Donuts
- Grain-free Baked Mini Donuts with Pastel Glaze
- Pumpkin Spice Cake Donuts
If you try these AIP Blueberry Donuts, I would appreciate it if you would give the recipe a star rating and short review. Also, be sure to snap a picture of the finished product and share it with me on Instagram by tagging @healmedelicious and using the hashtag #healmedelicious.Print